By SAM FARRIS Special to the Times BELMONT – The past weekend all three Itawamba county teams were involved in a tournament in Belmont, dubbed the Tishowamba Tournament, but probably would have been more fittingly called the Belmowamba Tournament. The Mantachie boys and girls teams were knocked off by IAHS on Thursday night while the […]
Tag Archives | Tremont
TREMONT – Last Tuesday evening, the Tremont community welcomed with a bang what is largely considered the most popular athletic season in eastern Itawamba County. In an event that lasted more than three hours, scrimmage games consisted of girls and boys games from grades three and up. Youth boys and girls had the spotlight early, […]
TREMONT – The 2013-2014 state championship Tremont Eagle archery and girls’ bowling teams finally received the hardware they worked hard to earn last season A ceremony for the teams was held in the gymnasium shortly after lunch last Thursday, which was kicked off by a highlight video compiled by Brian Pearson’s broadcast journalism class that […]
Four-year-old Parker blazed across the classroom and dived into his Batman backpack with abandon. He emerged with a small paper book in hand and peddled back across the room as quickly as his little legs would carry him. “Go ahead and read him your book, Parker,” his Head Start teacher, Casey Nichols, instructed. Page […]
The Tremont Board of Aldermen has appointed two new members after one alderman resigned and a second was vacated by the board. Last Wednesday, remaining members of the board — Nathan Garrison, Barry Todd and Chris Wigginton — voted to appoint Holly Ford and Bobby Canup to the town board. Ford and Canup replace Melanie […]
By SCOTTY NICHOLS Sports Writer HENDERSON, TN – Tremont basketball players participated in a Freed-Hardeman University hosted Individual Boys Basketball Camp, last week. The camp was conducted from July 13-17 by Lions head coach and 2014 Don Meyer Coach of the Year award-winner, Jason Shelton. Tremont head boys basketball coach Brian Pearson took 23 players […]
* The group will push to get the hometown country music legend’s first U.S. postal stamp released in Tremont. Tammy Wynette isn’t the star of her own stamp yet, but her hometown is making sure their ready for when she debuts. Recently, approximately 22 people attended a short meeting to discuss the planned release […]
* The country music icon’s hometown of Tremont will play host to the upcoming unveiling event. Tremont will play host to the unveiling of a new postage stamp bearing the likeness of country music legend Tammy Wynette. Though there is currently no set date for the unveiling event, the Tremont native’s name is included on […]
Story by Ginna Parsons Mary Killingsworth still remembers the first thing she ever learned to cook: homemade biscuits. “My mother was in the hospital and I made them and my dad said I made enough to feed Coxey’s Army,” said Killingsworth, 74. “I guess I was about 10 at the time and we had […]
* Tremont child braves surgery to fight rare disease Tremont’s EmeLee Lundy is about as small as a six year old comes, but she’s facing something big and very, very scary. EmeLee’s mother, Kandy, swore up and down that her daughter was a lot tougher than she might appear at first blush. “She understands that […]
JACKSON – Tremont’s Kari Lease helped lead the Lady Eagles to a Class I bowling state title earlier this year with a highest match score of 647. Last week, the senior attended an awards ceremony at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum in Jackson as one of only three athletes nominated for the […]
TREMONT – Two months ago, Tremont coach Sandy Webb was coming off of a girls’ bowling state title victory, the first such Tremont title in any sport since 1995. She said then that the Eagles would bring home another championship soon, this time in archery. True to her word, Webb led the archery team to […]
JACKSON – Over the past few years, Itawamba County has become a hotbed for archery in the state, a fact that was evident last week as two local schools brought home state titles and another was named runner-up at the Archery in Mississippi Schools (AIMS) State Championships held in Jackson. Mantachie brought home the 2A […]
TREMONT – After a tough season in 2013, Coach Shane Nichols has his Tremont Eagles playing at a much higher level in 2014. That improvement that saw the Eagles recently defeat Wheeler and Biggersville was put on hold last Tuesday as the squad dropped a 5-1 contest to Pine Grove. Panther starter Britt Lindley pitched […]
- Nettleton man charged with New Chapel church burglary March 26, 2015
- Don’t forget: Homestead exemption deadline is April 1 March 25, 2015
- Mustangs rout Royals to kick off 1-2A play March 26, 2015
- Fulton woman charged in machete attack March 26, 2015
- Golden resident charged with ATV theft March 26, 2015
- Hundreds of riders participate in Dorsey motocross qualifier April 1, 2015
- Fulton historical markers unveiling set for April 18 April 1, 2015
- Fulton gets a spring cleaning as part of the Great American Cleanup April 1, 2015
- Question of the Week – April 1 April 1, 2015
- Q&A with Chip Mills: Itawamba County’s congressional candidate April 1, 2015
- Ckb: When did this happen to you Brandi?...
- Brandi: This is the guy who pulled into my driveway and st...
- South35: They also need to figure out something about peopl...
- Adam Armour: Why, thank you so much. Mr. Blake is a fun, intere...
- Perry Newton: Good article, Adam, about a very deserving subject...