Urban legend has it that rock ‘n roll royalty Elvis Presley is still alive somewhere, living the easy life away from the madness of super-stardom. True or not, last week’s charity dinner held in his honor certainly proved The King’s legendary generosity lives on. Early estimates place the funds raised during Marian Cocke’s Elvis Presley […]
Tag Archives | Charity
By SCOTTY NICHOLS Sports Writer FULTON – The Itawamba Cruisers motorcycle organization will host its third annual charity ride on Saturday, Aug. 16 at the court square in Fulton. The group will host the traditional 80-mile ride, and this year will also include a car and truck show. The mud trucks, rock crawlers and various […]
More than $61,000 has been allocated by United Way of Northeast Mississippi to various Itawamba County agencies for 2014. According to information provided by United Way of Northeast Mississippi, a total of $61,538 has been allocated to 33 different nonprofit agencies that serve Itawamba County. This represents a small decrease from last year’s allocations of […]
Nearly as famous as his voice and gyrating hips was Elvis Presley’s generosity. The man loved to give back to people. It’s in this spirit that Lori Holland, head of the Fulton-based Moody Blues Elvis Presley Fan Club, created the upcoming Marian Cocke ~ Elvis Presley Charity Event Memorial Dinner. Set for Thursday, May 15, […]
* The Thanksgiving Day event, which served food to hundreds of people each year, began in 2003. A decade-old holiday tradition won’t be returning this year. For the past 10 years, Itawamba County residents have been served a free community Thanksgiving Dinner thanks to local volunteers, most notably Fulton restaurateurs Rick and Joni Leathers. The […]
The annual charity golf tournament benefiting The Harden House Home for Girls was held last Tuesday at the Fulton Country Club. The event raised over $10,000. Coke donated drinks and Wendys donated food. Walmart provided snacks and also donated a 39″ flat screen TV. Results: First place: Davis Ford (Tab Bennett, Clay Weatherford, Martin Richardson […]
The Dec. 14 shootings at Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School had a profound effect on Fulton’s JoAnn Scales. “Sitting there, watching [the news], I kept having to breathe in and breathe out because of the tragedy of it,” she said. Although Scales knew nothing she could do would lessen that tragedy, which left 26 people […]
Each year, the members of Itawamba County-based club the Northeast Mississippi Radio Amateurs pick out their own Christmas present. This is a bit more in line with the spirit of the season than it first sounds. This time of year each year, rather than throwing a party or exchanging gifts with each other, club members […]
Volunteers are desperately needed to help with the Salvation Army’s Kettle Drive. There are still a number of times available for those able to volunteer to be bellringers during the annual fundraising drive — the only one the non-profit organization hosts during the year. The drive kicked off in late November and will continue through Dec. […]
- Local family competing to win handicap van May 26, 2015
- Best of Itawamba 2015 May 26, 2015
- OPINION: A letter to my younger self May 27, 2015
- Local bowling coach earns statewide honor May 27, 2015
- Local watercolorist’s work to be featured at NYC event May 27, 2015
- After 30 years as IAHS baseball chief, Long bids farewell May 27, 2015
- IAHS’s Hargett helps lead offensive charge in East’s 14-1 win in NEMCABB classic May 27, 2015
- Question of the Week – May 27 May 27, 2015
- Graduation 2015 May 27, 2015
- Mantachie High has the best balsa bridge builders in the nation May 27, 2015
- KT: If I had the money, I would buy them a van without...
- Natasha Bright: I just used one of these cards last month at Walma...
- Mary Turner: So proud of Emily and Cassidy! Letting JESUS shine...
- Brittney Davis: His brother killed my uncle. If he's so great why...
- Adam Armour: Agreed. I'd love to sit down with the guy and hea...