* The Fulton resident is participating in World Book Night, an event which helps introduce people to the joys of reading. Do you enjoy a good book? Sort of? No? Well, the organizers of World Book Night, coming to Itawamba County for the first time this year, think that maybe light and non-readers simply haven’t […]
FULTON – Taylor Cresap was a riddle Amory couldn’t solve last Friday as Itawamba AHS defeated the Lady Panthers 4-1. The junior pitcher hurled a gem, notching a complete-game victory while giving up one earned run on two hits with seven strikeouts and two walks. She also went 1-for-3 three at the plate with a […]
FULTON – Itawamba AHS senior Kim Mallory helped lead her Lady Indians to a 4A state title this season, but she isn’t quite done with basketball just yet. The forward made her college decision and signed with the Freed-Hardeman Lady Lions last Thursday in a ceremony held at the high school. “I loved the atmosphere […]
TREMONT – Surrounded by friends and family, Tremont’s Cody North and Daniel Sturdivant signed to play basketball next season at ICC last Friday during a ceremony held at the high school. The duo led the Eagles to a 21-12 record and a first-round appearance in the 1A playoffs in 2013-14. North led the team in […]
FULTON – Qualeah Ezell brought home a first place medal two weeks ago at the Class II State powerlifting meet, and was only Itawamba County lifter to do so. A sophomore, Ezell lifted a total of 760 lbs. to win the 148 lb. weight class, besting Velma Jackson’s Darmesha Brown by 40 lbs. and leading […]
FULTON – Itawamba AHS’ Dylan Taylor always had a feeling he might end up an ICC Indian. The senior pitcher pulled the trigger Monday and signed with Rick Collier’s squad at a signing ceremony held at the high school. “I’ve always gone to ICC baseball camps and grew up around ICC,” Taylor said. “I always […]
National Wild Turkey Foundation to host fundraising banquet The Hunting Heritage Super Fund banquet, hosted by the Hill Country Strutters Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, will be held Apr. 17 at the Tupelo Furniture Market Building #5. Doors will open at 6 p.m. with a meal provided by Romies. An auction will follow […]
The Fairview Cardinals edged Mantachie 3234-3222 last Monday to win the Itawamba County Archery Tournament. Following the top squads were Tremont (3133), Itawamba AHS (3082) and Dorsey (2821). Fairview’s Katie Graham took the Top Female Shooter award with a 276, while Tremont’s Austin Johnson captured the Top Male Shooter award with a 293.
Members of the PowerZone Gym in Peppertown recently won big at the APA Mississippi Open held in Philadelphia, Miss., on Mar. 8. Pictured, from left, are Stephen Pounds, 1st place, 275 lb. bench only; Qualeah Ezell, 1st place, 148 lb. full power; Ciara Harmon, 1st place, 114 lb. full power; Kevin Harmon, 1st place, 165 […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the second of a multi-part series of stories about child abuse. The series began in the April 2 edition of The Itawamba County Times. Cleo’s stepfather … the man who allegedly began sexually abusing her when she was only three years old … has never done a day of jail time. […]
By MIRANDA CIPKOWSKI Special to The Times This could not be good. From my bedroom, I heard the forceful slam of the refrigerator door. The kind of slamming that causes rattling of jars and sloshing of leftovers. The pitter-patter of little feet peppered the hard floor beneath them. “This may be really bad,” I told […]
* Upcoming event aims to promote reading among children. Keeping young minds active during the summer months is more important to their educations than most people realize. Apparently, there’s a thing called the “summer slide.” That’s when school-aged kids, suddenly released from the rigors of the classroom, cease reading for the summer months. By the […]
* The pump, which will provide fuel for natural gas powered vehicles, will be one of only three statewide. “This is why this works,” said Mike Horton, manager of North Mississippi Natural Gas in Mantachie, pointing to his computer monitor. On-screen was a map. A thick blue line traced the route between Memphis and Birmingham, […]
HATLEY – Mantachie out-fielded, out-pitched and out-hit Hatley last Thursday, but still came up short. The Lady Tigers won on a walkoff sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth when Ashton Wright drove in Courtney Roberts for the 6-5 victory. While they dominated large portions of the contest, the Lady Mustangs stranded 12 baserunners […]
- Business owners vexed by Mantachie Walmart rumor April 16, 2014
- PowerZone lifters dominate APA Mississippi Open April 16, 2014
- McDonald in top 15 at SEC Championship April 23, 2014
- ICC’s Johnson named MACJC Pitcher of the Week April 23, 2014
- ICC’s Watterson signs with Delta State April 23, 2014
- Building the best balsa bridge April 23, 2014
- Our house of great dispute April 23, 2014
- Sizing up soil: Local teams to compete in national land judging competiton April 23, 2014
- Prescription med drop-off returns Saturday April 23, 2014
- Indians take care of New Albany, 4-1 April 23, 2014
- Adam Armour: Thanks for your comment, Confused. I'm hoping s...
- Confused: My wife and I both live in Mantachie and work in T...
- SupportiveCitizen: Bravo CLEO! Fight on!! whether you get the justice...
- Pissed Off: I think two supervisors are trying to get somethin...
- Itawambian: It's quite interesting to me how the two supervis...
- Building the best balsa bridge http://t.co/xOFkIZLHN8 40 mins ago
- Our house of great dispute http://t.co/qcngHqJeJy 35 mins ago
- Sizing up soil: Local teams to compete in national land judging competiton http://t.co/R6fWgwJrOj 30 mins ago
- Prescription med drop-off returns Saturday http://t.co/iRsGXNp9eL 30 mins ago
- Indians take care of New Albany, 4-1 http://t.co/egfBPc6Avf 20 mins ago