The Itawamba County School Board has selected a new principal for Mantachie High School. During last week’s regular meeting, the school board approved Superintendent Michael Nanney’s selection of Millie Wood as the new head of Mantachie High. Wood is curently employed with the Itawamba County School System as Special Programs Director. She replaces Jeff Criddle, […]
About Gaynell Jackson
Author Archive | Gaynell Jackson
* The buses were purchased as part of a 10-year, $1.24 million lease/purchase agreement. Sixteen new school buses are rolling down Itawamba County’s roads this week. The buses were purchased late last year under a 10-year lease purchase agreement. The local school district is paying for the buses in annual installments of around $160,000, for […]
* The country music icon’s hometown of Tremont will play host to the upcoming unveiling event. Tremont will play host to the unveiling of a new postage stamp bearing the likeness of country music legend Tammy Wynette. Though there is currently no set date for the unveiling event, the Tremont native’s name is included on […]
During their recent meeting, the Itawamba County School Board unanimously approved Michael Nanney’s recommendation of promoting Sheryl Ewing to Itawamba Attendance Center principal. Ewing has served as an assistant principal for the past two years and succeeds Pat Stone who is retiring at the end of the current school year. Ewing started teaching in Itawamba […]
Following a split-vote, members of the Itawamba County School Board have appointed a new member to temporarily fill the vacant first district seat. Last Thursday, Jan. 16, members of the Itawamba County School board met during a special session and appointed Kelly Knight to fill the first district position, which was left vacant by former […]
“I first knew I liked cooking when I was about 12 years old,” said Kenny Coker, August’s Cook of the Month. “When I would visit my grandmothers, I would watch them prepare meals for their families. I just loved it.” That interest mushroomed, and Coker took a job in the fast food business when he […]
Strong numbers at Itawamba Attendance Center have made necessary the hiring of an additional first grade teacher. Due to Itawamba Attendance Center first grade reaching an enrollment number of 139 students even before the first day of school, the Itawamba County School District hired an additional teacher during its regular meeting last week. Based on […]
Kids, squeeze as much out of every single day as possible: Summer vacation is waning. In two weeks’ time, students across Itawamba County will head back to the classroom. Classes begin on Wednesday, Aug. 7 for each of Itawamba County’s eight schools. This week and next, each Itawamba County school will hold its own open […]
Itawamba County high schools and Itawamba Community College are teaming up to offer students a chance to get a jump on their college careers. Starting this coming school year, area high schools will be offering a dual enrollment program … a special program that allows students to be simultaneously enrolled in both high school and […]
Itawamba County high school seniors will be offered the opportunity to earn high school/college credit simultaneously beginning with the fall semester, 2013. Members of the Itawamba County School Board approved the policy change at their recent board meeting. Board members seemed to agree that the change would help promote students’ moving forward with their academic […]
Thirty-two year school system veteran Sandra Guin was named Itawamba County School District’s Paraprofessional of the Year, Monday night. Guin, who has spent her years in the front office at Mantachie High School, was selected from among a field of seven nominees representing Itawamba County schools. Upon receiving the award, Guin appeared honored and humbled. […]
Itawamba County’s principals will do a bit of shuffling next year. Three of the county’s school administrators will be changing jobs next school year. Mark Hitt, current principal of Dorsey Attendance Center, will serve as principal at the alternative school. Hitt has been principal of Dorsey Attendance Center since 2006. Currently, no one serves as […]
Sixth-generation Itawambian Mona Mills has recently released her first printing of “Images of America – Itawamba County.” Mills is delighted to be able to share her love for the county of her heritage. A member of the Itawamba Historical Society, Mills spends a great deal of time studying genealogy. She began genealogy blogging in 2008 […]
Harold Martin, third district school board member, was elected chairman of the Itawamba County School Board during their recent meeting. Immediately following his election, Dr. Wes Pitts, second district board member, was chosen vice-chairman, and Tammy Cooley, first district board member, was elected secretary. The three members will serve throughout 2013. In other business, the […]
- OPINION: Let’s snuff out the sun July 29, 2015
- Badges bust battery bandit July 28, 2015
- Question of the Week – July 29 July 29, 2015
- Fulton board chews tobacco laws July 29, 2015
- Teen charged with Tremont business break in July 29, 2015
- Back on track July 29, 2015
- Mueller to modernize plant, retain jobs July 29, 2015
- OPINION: Let’s snuff out the sun July 29, 2015
- Voters hit the polls next Tuesday July 29, 2015
- A step-by-step guide to casting your vote Tuesday July 29, 2015
- Benjamin Evan Walker: Level headed, well thought out and best of all sas...
- Rick: Adam, you are right and wrong. Yes, some companie...
- Jodi Cleary: Wow. Good for them and Congratulations❤️...
- Adam Armour: Hey, Nikki. I just posted four of the names, as re...
- Nikki Ballard: Any idea when the shooters' names will be release...